16.12.04

Ecclesiastes 3

After a torrent of final papers, late nights and early mornings tired eyes and fingers worn from typing such wonders as "The Web and We - How the Internet Is Changing Society's Concept of Community" for my college classes, I have returned to my childhood home to rest during the winter. As I returned earlier than many of my peers, this has given me plenty of time to reflect. I spend much of my time talking with my father, and his insights on everything from religion and life philosophies to the petty infinites of everyday life have left me in a state of peaceful sacrosanctity, as heretical that may seem.

In light of this I leave you (with no intended sarcasm) with this short passage from my favorite anathema, the Bible:

A Time for Everything

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

a time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;
a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
a time to get, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
a time to rend, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
a time to love, and a time to hate;
a time of war, and a time of peace.

What profit hath he that worketh in that wherein he laboreth?

I have seen the travail, which God hath given to the sons of men to be exercised in it. / He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end. / I know that there is no good in them, but for a man to rejoice, and to do good in his life. / And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labor, it is the gift of God. / I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and God doeth it, that men should fear before him. / That which hath been is now; and that which is to be hath already been; and God requireth that which is past.



As a footnote, anyone with a more than passing interest in scripture will realize that I did not quote the entirety of Ecclesiastes 3, only the first part of it. However, in response to any disparagements by biblical purists regarding my perversion of the scripture's intent, I uphold my editing without remorse, as the latter section was clearly written by far lesser author than the wise comments of the former.

Do enjoy the holiday.

No comments: