30.12.04

Casual Voyeurism

I was bumming about the other day and came upon a collection of internet enabled security cameras that had not been secured. Anyways, much fun was had, but it got me thinking about the similarities between watching some anal-retentive Japanese woman spend four minutes folding a shirt in a laundromat, and watching those horrid reality television serials. So far I haven't come to a satisfactory reconciliation between my fascination with one and my distaste for the other. Perhaps it simply comes down my recognition of the fauxity of "reality TV", or simple anti-populism. What do you think?

false edit: Does anyone else enjoy the quiet sadism of making poor people paranoid about the cameras and then trying to fend them off from covering the lens by panning the camera back and forth? I suppose I should feel bad about doing it, but I rationalize it by telling myself that any company willing to pay such a poor IT administrator deserves what it gets until I get a job.

No comments: