4.12.04

Addendum :: That Caustic Coating

In a follow up to my previous post regarding religion, I recently finished viewing a series of interviews conducted by the accomplished Dr. Jonathan Miller for BBC4's series Atheism - A Rough History of Disbelief (also known as Jonathan Miller's Brief History of Disbelief), and republished at greater length by BBC4 in a series called The Atheism Tapes. This mini-series details a series of highly interesting interviews with noted American and British thinkers and scientists. Personally, I found the British philosopher Colin McGinn to be intensely thought-provoking, as well as the questions raised by American Daniel Dennett. While I was not entirely impressed by all of the speakers, I found The Atheism Tapes to be absolutely enjoyable, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in an intellectual approach to the concept of atheism and the causes of the surge in religion (particularly Christianity) throughout the United States.

Personally, it was McGinn's comments that led to the realization of my antitheist beliefs and status, and it is (on a related note) those beliefs that make me very nervous about things like this. Whatever happened to separation of Church and State? Tangentially, that phrase, specifically the use of the word "Church" as opposed to "religion", speaks volumes as to the hypocrisy of that amendment.

No comments: