25.3.08

OH - BAH - MA!

Usually, I try to curb my enthusiasm for Barack Obama on this blog by keeping most of my gushing to my barackobama.com blog, but I have to mention the local campaign stumping that Obama did throughout Oregon. He swept through Portland, Salem and Eugene on Friday, ending with a late night rally at McArthur Court at the University of Oregon.

I managed to squeeze into the tightly packed rally in Eugene (10,000 in the building, and almost that many couldn't get in), and I was overjoyed to hear him speak. He's just so inspiring. I already wrote about it here, so I'll avoid repeating myself any further, but I did manage to find a short video where you can see where I was standing. The footage was shot from across the court, but when it zooms in you can spot me to the bottom right of the frame. I'm the guy in the green shirt who keeps on raising my arms to form the 'O' sign like I was at a football game or something. It was a whole lot of fun.

It was only after I visited family in Corvallis that I realized that Obama had dropped by my hometown too. He made a quick stop (well, as quick as a three bus entourage guarded by the Secret Service can be) at American Dream Pizza in downtown Corvallis. He said, "There’s something very metaphorical going on here," of the locally owned business. They are my absolute favorite restaurant, and I was amazed to hear that he went there. If only I could have been there when it happened. The local newspaper went nuts over the incident, and you can read more about it here.

1 comment:

flutterbyblue said...

The rally sounds fantastic! He's so incredibly inspirational...fingers crossed!