28.3.08

Journal Entry XII

Journal Entry 12: Fire station interviews

Taking the advice of my professors, I went around the Cal Young neighborhood in an attempt to garner the thoughts of community leaders on the Crescent Village development. I attempted to go and speak with the principal of the Sheldon High School, or really with any of the educational community leaders, only to find out that a) I was pretty dumb, and b) it was President’s Day, and school wasn’t in session.

Fortunately, the Fire Station No. 6 was nearby, so my time was not wasted. I walked over to the station and spoke with a fireman who told me that Captain Steve Kropf would no doubt love to talk with me, but he was out on call. I went over to Crescent Village to burn some time, and one hour later I was back in the station’s office, chatting amiably with the firemen.

After bonding slightly at our collective disapproval of Swiss seats (a minimalistic equipment harness that saves the wearer from falls but straps between the thighs), I was able to get a good 30 minutes of interview from Captain Kropf as well as Roger, one of the older firemen.

The interview went quite well, with plenty of stories and laughter as well as good quotations (he had significant concerns over the tall and narrow design of the townhouses). I was hoping to take some portraits, but I couldn’t figure out a way to easily work them into the conversation. Oh well, it wasn’t all that important anyways.

Note: See, even Eugene firefighters are part of new media.

No comments: