30.9.08

Bailout

I wrote to my House Representative, Peter DeFazio D-Ore., regarding the recent bailout vote. The $700 billion bailout is designed to insulate the market from years of poor decisions and irresponsible lending. Along with many other Congressional members, Rep. Defazio voted against the bailout plan. The market reacted with the largest point drop in history, and one of the largest percentage drops since the Great Depression.

I understand that http://www.house.gov/ is getting slammed by citizens who are wanting to let their representatives know their opinions, and I thought that I would lend mine as well. Here is the message that I sent the DeFazio administration:

To whom it may concern,

I wanted to register my concern with Rep. DeFazio's no vote on the recent bailout proposal. I think he is a good man, and I am sure he has many reasons for his position, but I urge him to consider supporting the bill.

I do not think that it is the best solution, but I think that it is a necessary evil. The potential risk of allowing the economy to stagnate for another two or three weeks is too great.

The government must display decisive leadership to provide a direction for the markets before they shake themselves apart. Inaction threatens harm that will take a generation to heal.

Thank you for your time,
Tristan Coolen

No comments: